Vegetable Pulao | Veg Pulao | Vegetable Pilaf | Veg Pilaf
Vegetable Pulao is an Indian style of spicy flavored rice. It gives a strong aroma of spices, vegetables, and clarified butter (ghee). This rice dish is generally prepared during special occasions in Indian households. Pulao is also well known as “Pilaf”, “Pulav”, and “Palav”. And is available in Central Asia, South Asia, and Middle East countries.
Here, the Pulao is a mixture of rice, spices, and vegetables, or meat. In this recipe, I have used vegetables such as carrots, green beans, cauliflower, potatoes, onions, and tomatoes. You can also add green peas. Adding extra onions and tomatoes makes the pulao juicy and flavorful. This rice is generally prepared with basmati rice. but you can use sona masoori or jeera rice too.
Additionally, Vegetable Pulao is a very healthy, aromatic, spicy, and delicious rice dish. Everyone in the family, especially kids enjoy this flavorful rice. Vegetables are nutritious for your kids’ physical and mental growth. This rice is a great way to feed them vegetables. I hope you will enjoy cooking this aromatic rice item for your family and friends.
Vegetable Pulao | Veg Pulao | Vegetable Pilaf | Veg PilafCourse: Lunch, Dinner, Main CourseCuisine: Indian
2 cups of soaked basmati rice
1 peeled and chopped potato
1 scraped and chopped carrot
4-5 chopped green beans
1/4 chopped cauliflower
1 large diced onion
1 large diced and fried onion
1 large chopped tomato
1 cup chopped fenugreek leaves (methi)
1 cup mint leaves (pudina)
2 cups coriander leaves
4-5 green chillies
1 tablespoon ghee
2 tablespoon oil
5-6 cashews fried
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
1/2 teaspoon biryani masala
Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pot (kadai).
- Add potatoes, carrots, green beans, and cauliflower.
- Stir fry all the vegetables until it’s golden brown.
- Add 1 cup coriander leaves, mint leaves, and green chillies to mixing jar and grind them into a thin paste.
- In the same pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon clarified butter (ghee).
- Add onion, black cumin (shah jeera), star anise, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, green cardamom, and cloves. Mix all the ingredients well until the onion turns golden brown.
- Add tomato, the stir-fried vegetables, and fenugreek leaves (Methi). Mix all the ingredients well.
- Add salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, biryani masala, crushed black pepper, and turmeric powder.
- Add the green paste and ginger-garlic paste.
- Mix all the ingredients well and add basmati rice. Pour 4 cups of hot water.
- Close the pot lid and let the rice cook for 2 minutes on a high flame. Then reduce it to low flame and let it cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Garnish the rice with coriander leaves, fried onion, and cashews. Vegetable Pulao is ready. Serve it with the raita.
- You can add more vegetables to this recipe if you like.
- The alternate method of preparing this recipe is by marinating the vegetables in yogurt (curd), biryani masala, turmeric powder, green paste, and salt. You can use mint leaves and red chilli powder instead of the green paste in the marinade for this alternate method.
- Biryani and pulao are very different from one another. In biryani, the rice and vegetable/meat masala is cooked separately. Then they’re arranged in layers and cooked again. In pulao, the rice and vegetables/meat masala is cooked together. However, both rice items taste similar because of the ingredients.
- You can also add fried raisins along with fried cashews and onions.
How to make Vegetable Pulao step-by-step?
Step 1: Soak 2 cups of basmati rice for 30 minutes or more.
Step 2: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pot (kadai).
Step 3: Add 1 medium chopped potato, ¼ chopped cauliflower, 1 chopped carrot, and 4-5 chopped green beans.
Step 4: Stir fry all the vegetables until they turn golden brown. Take out the vegetables and place them aside.
Step 5: Add 1 cup of mint leaves (pudina), 1 cup coriander leaves, and 4-5 green chillies to a mixing jar. Grind them into a thin paste.
Step 6: In the same pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of clarified butter (ghee).
Step 7: Add 1 large diced onion, 1 teaspoon black cumin (shah jeera), 1 star anise, 1 bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 green cardamom, and 4 cloves. Mix all the ingredients well and let the onion turn golden brown.
Step 8: Add 1 large chopped tomato, the stir-fried vegetables, and 1 cup of fenugreek leaves (Methi), and salt to taste.
Step 9: Add ½ teaspoon cumin powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon biryani masala, ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper, and ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
Step 10: Add the green paste and ½ teaspoon ginger-garlic paste.
Step 11: Mix all the ingredients well. Add the soaked rice by draining the water and mix the rice with the other ingredients. Add 4 cups of hot water to the rice.
Step 12: Close the lid and let the rice cook in high flame for 2 minutes. Then cook in low flame for 10-12 minutes until the water evaporates.
Step 13: Garnish it with 1 large diced and fried onion and 5-6 fried cashews. Vegetable Pulao is ready. Serve it hot with the raita.