Bombay Sandwich | Veg Grill Sandwich | Veg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Bombay sandwich is another popular street food in Mumbai. They’re available at vendors selling chats on the streets of Mumbai and at restaurants. Potato and Pudina chutney are the main ingredients in this sandwich. As you can see, most Mumbai street foods have repeatedly added potatoes to almost all chats. This sandwich also tastes like a chat.
The origin of sandwiches is not from India because the bread was introduced by Portuguese and the preparation of sandwiches by the British. As you know, we Indians are experts in making any foreign dish into an Indian version. This sandwich is a fusion, it includes Indian spices, herbs, and vegetables.
The Bombay sandwich is a grilled vegetable sandwich made of vegetables, with potatoes as the main ingredient, as well as lots of grated cheese, and Pudina chutney. This sandwich tastes awesome with the crispy and crunchy texture of the toasted/grilled bread, and the softness of cheese. In this recipe, I simply toast the bread slices on a pan (tawa), but if you have a grill toaster you can use it.
All these ingredients are the specialty of the Bombay sandwich. It can be served as an evening snack with tea or coffee as well as for breakfast. This amazing mouth-watering Veg Grilled Cheese Sandwich/Veg toast Sandwich is loved by many. Try this recipe yourself and let me know how you and your loved ones like it.
Recipe Card for Bombay Sandwich
Bombay Sandwich | Veg Grill Sandwich | Veg Grilled Cheese SandwichCourse: Breakfast, Brunch, Evening snacks, Indian, Sandwiches, Street Food, VegetarianCuisine: Indian
2 medium sliced tomatoes
2 medium sliced cucumbers
2 medium capsicum cut into Julienne
2 medium onions cut into Julienne
2 medium scraped, sliced and boiled potatoes
2 cups grated or 8 slices of cheese
2 teaspoon black pepper powder
1 cup Pudina chutney
1 cup butter
16 bread slices with trimmed edges
1 tablespoon oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pot.
- Add the onions and capsicums to the oil.
- Saute them until slightly golden brown and add salt to taste.
- Apply butter on both sides of bread slices and toast them all on a heated pan.
- Apply Pudina chutney on all the bread slices.
- Place the sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, and the sauteed onions and capsicums on 8 bread slices.
- Sprinkle 1 pinch of black pepper powder and 1 pinch of chat masala on those tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Add grated cheese or place a slice cheese and cover with the other bread slice for each sandwich.
- Press the sandwich from the top on the pan (tawa) and turn to the other side. And again press it.
- Cut the sandwich diagonally. Serve the sandwich with potato chips and tomato ketchup.
- Make sure to use salt only for the sauteed onions and capsicums and not on the sandwich, else the cucumber will release water and make the bread soggy and loses the crispy and crunchy texture.
- You can use other vegetables like carrots, spinach or whichever you prefer. Adding more vegetables wi make this sandwich more nutritious and healthy.
- This sandwich goes well with freshly prepared potato chips. Homemade potato chips taste the best.
- Along with chat masala and black pepper powder, you can also add a pinch of cumin powder. It tastes really good.
How to make Bombay Sandwich step-by-step?
Step 1: Scrape the skin of potatoes, slice them and boil with salt to taste.
Step 2: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pot.
Step 3: Add onions and capsicums cut in Julienne to the oil and salt to taste and saute them.
Step 4: Spread the butter on a pan(tawa) and toast all the bread slices on both sides.
Step 5: Apply Pudina chutney on one side of each bread slice.
Step 6: Place the sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, boiled potatoes, and the sauteed onions and capsicums on the bread slices.
Step 7: Sprinkle 1 pinch of black pepper powder and 1 pinch of chat masala.
Step 8: Add grated cheese and cover with another toasted bread slice on top for all sandwiches.
Step 9: Press the sandwich from the top on the pan (tawa) and turn it. Then press again.
Step 10: The Veg Toast Cheese Sandwich is ready. Cut the sandwich diagonally and serve with some potato chips and tomato ketchup.